Thursday, November 22, 2012

Robert Bly: News of the Universe



Before I ever read a word of Robert Bly's, I heard his voice. Firm, sharp, and maybe even a bit rushed, out of excitement, or perhaps urgency. I was in Connecticut for a hiking trip with my friend Eric, riding along the back roads (there seemingly isn't any other kind in that state), and Robert was reading to us, telling the tale of the boy and Iron John.

The audio book crackled on the tape deck. Robert took us through the stages a man might go through in life, if he's lucky, and every now and again he would punctuate a point with a mad little swipe at his guitar.

Here, we thought, was a fellow who knew something.

Later that year, I read the book, and then read it again. The next year I attended a poetry retreat in Massachusetts led by Robert and Coleman Barks. The year after that I made it out to the Minnesota Men's Conference and joined the wasters, rhymers, minstrels and other vagabonds cavorting in the woods by a lake. I am a different and better man because of Robert's work.

Robert Bly: News of the Universe is a new film-in-progress by Haydn Reiss. I encourage you to have a look and consider supporting this crowd-sourced work. There's also a fine article about Robert and the project here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric D. Lehman said...

Posted this trailer on my own blog without even checking yours! Looks like you've been more active lately on here...so I'll be checking back more often. Love the reading at the beginning of the clip..."Bring up some little rivers!"

1:55 PM  
Blogger Ryan Rasmussen said...

I missed it on yours, as well! Will venture over there now.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home